Online Application Form
Online Film Appreciation Course FAQs
Online Film Appreciation Course
15th June – 11th July 2020
Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), Pune, and National Film Archive of India, (NFAI), Pune announce Online Film Appreciation Course.
Following are the details in this regard;
(1) Name of the Course: Online Film Appreciation Course
(2) Dates& duration: 15 June – 11 July, 2020 (24 days, Monday-Saturday, Sunday will be a holiday)
(a) Online class (live interactive sessions): 11 am – 1 pm and 5 pm – 6 pm (Indian Standard Time – IST) (3 hours every day)
(b) Exercises (Film Viewing): 1 – 5 pm IST
(3) Max. no. of participants: 50 (Course will be conducted only if minimum strength of 35 participants is reached)
(4) Age:18 years and above (participants born on or before 31st May, 2002)
(5) Educational Qualification: HSC (12th pass).
(6) Online Platform: Google Classroom and Google Meet
(7) Medium of Instructions: English
(8) Application fee: Rs 800/- for Indian Nationals and Rs 2,400/- for Foreigners including NRI, OCI etc. Please note that application fee is non – refundable under any circumstances.
(9) Course fee: Rs 9,000/- for Indian Nationals and Rs 27,000/- for Foreigners including NRI, OCI etc
Course fee is non-refundable, non-transferrable, non-adjustable, etc. under any circumstances.
(10) Mode of payment: Through SBI Collect link available on FTII and NFAI websites.
(11) Last date to submit application: 2nd June 2020, 6 pm IST
(12) Online platform: FTII will be using “Google Classroom” and participants are requested to get familiarized with it. Steps to join online class including login id & password will be shared with selected participants by email.
(13) Computer literacy: It is the participant’s responsibility to be technologically capable to take an online course. Participants must be computer literate.
(14) MANDATORY REQUIREMENT:
Since the course is online, participants must have following facilities;
(i) A Desktop / Laptop having minimum 8 GB RAM, 1.6 GHz or better processor (Intel i3 or i5 or better). (Windows / MAC)
(ii) Operating system: a) Windows 7 or 8 or 10. b) MAC OS Sierra or later
(iii) Audio – Video software: Latest versions of VLC player, Windows Media Player or Quick Time Player.
(iv) Compatible good quality headphones/ earphones with mic
(v) Compatible HD webcam
(vi) Internet pack of minimum 4 GB per day exclusively for this course. It is recommended to have fixed wired Internet connection with minimum speed of 10 Mbps or more.
(vii) Web browser: Latest version of Google Chrome (Preferred), Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari.
Use of Mobile Phone (in place of Laptop or Desktop Computer) to attend the classes is strictly prohibited. Such participants will not be allowed to join the classes.
(II) Film Viewing: A list of films will be provided to selected participants. Participants are expected to arrange and watch the films on their own. Wherever feasible, FTII and NFAI will facilitate the viewing of films.
(15) Course Director (Main Faculty): Arunaraje Patil passed out of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) Pune in 1969, specialising in Film Editing. Having won 5 National Awards she is a critically acclaimed award-winning filmmaker. She is a writer, editor (first trained woman technician to come out of FTII) director and producer. Advertising films, documentaries, television serials and features – she has done them all.
Her feature films include SHAQUE, GEHRAYEE, SITUM, RIHAEE, PATITA PAVANI, PATITA PAVANA, BHAIRAVI, TUM and KEH DO NA. Many of her films have strong women themes and she has been a voice for women. She has been passionate about empowering women and represented them in many forums. She has also worked with commercial sex workers in red light areas, writing about their life in verse form as ‘Red-light Verses’.
Actively involved in film education, she has been a part of decision-making bodies and teaching the subjects of Screenwriting, Direction, Editing & Production in many film schools. She has been Vice Chairman, Governing Council,FTII.
She has served on many juries, including National Film Awards, and has been a strong voice for documentaries.
She has won 5 National Awards for her documentaries, ‘Mallika Sarabhai’, ‘A New Paradigm’ and ‘Behind the Glass Wall’, the latter two were about children with special needs.
As a keen student and practitioner of ontology she has been involved in transformational work since 1997. She has been a Landmark Forum Leader and has led transformational programs for more than 10,000 people, also making a difference as a life coach and motivational speaker. Apart from writing her own scripts, she has written several articles which have been published.
Her autobiography called FREEDOM - My story published by Harper Collins was released in 2017. Recently she has directed a Marathi feature film FIREBRAND, produced by Priyanka Chopra and released on Netflix.
(16) How to apply:
The application is to be filled in two parts – (I) Payment of application fees and (II) Participant details with other information & Statement of Purpose.
(I) For payment of application fees;
2. Select All India in State of Corporate / Institution, then select Educational Institutions in Type of Corporate/ Institution and click Go.
3. Search/Find FTII Fees Account in Educational institutions name and click submit.
4. Select Application Form Fee for Online FAC 2020 in Select Payment Category.
5. Fill-up the payment form with requisite details and proceed for payment.
6. Once payment is done, please note "SBcollect Reference Number" (mentioned in payment confirmation receipt).
7. Digitally store the receipt of payment. This can be carried out in one of the following ways;
(i) by taking printout of receipt of payment, scan & save it
(ii) by taking screenshot of payment (if using mobile) or printscreen (if using computer)
(iii) by simply taking a photograph from mobile
*** A copy of receipt of payment should be uploaded with the Application Form.
(II) Participant details with other information & Statement of Purpose.
(ii) Click on “FTII Online” and then on “Online Film Appreciation Course”on FTII website.
(iii) Read the advt. carefully. Apply only when you are sure that you have all the necessary facilities as stated in the advt.
(iv) Scroll down the advt. till last line and click on “Apply online/ Application Form”.
(v) Fill in all the fields in the application form and submit it.
(vi) No document/ certificate related to educational qualification, age etc. is to be attached.Participants’ self – declaration in the application form is sufficient.
Please note that the application form link will be disabled immediately after 6pm (IST) on 02nd June 2020. Incomplete applications will be not be considered.
(17) Selection Criteria: Participants will be selected on the basis of information and Statement of Purpose (SOP) provided in Application Form.
(18) Certificates: All participants would be given participation e-certificates on successful completion of the course. Minimum 90% attendance is mandatory.
(19) Queries: For any queries, please contact Mr. Milind Joshi, Advisor Outreach, FTII, on email@example.com
(20) Communication with participants: All communications with the participants will be carried out through email only. List of shortlisted participants will be published on FTII and NFAI websites latest by 7th June 2020. Necessary email will be sent to them on their registered email id. These shortlisted participants need to further pay Course Fee of Rs 9,000/- or Rs 27,000/- (as the case may be) within the time as specified in email. Payment link for the same will also be shared in the same email. Once payment is made, all selected participants will be sent selection email which will have login id & password and steps to join the course. Online session on how to use Google Classroom will also be held which will be communicated in the same email.
About the Course
The Online Film Appreciation Course is an intensive course designed to promote a comprehensive understanding of the language of Cinema. The curriculum is a basic introduction to the theoretical study of the art and history of film and the development of cinema as a medium of art and communication. It includes exposure to the world classics that changed how films are made and seen over the years and how the tools of filmmaking are used to tell stories or to express the art of a filmmaker as an auteur.
The intellectual and emotional journey through four weeks will not only be insightful about Cinema but about life itself as the layers of the narratives in the different genres are unconcealed. New perspectives would begin to emerge as the subtexts begin to be noticed and heard. Aspects of communication would come to the fore as conceptual areas of the language of cinema like time and space, mise-en-scene, genres, film movements are explored and discussed. Gender issues, the way women are perceived in society and portrayed in Cinema will also be part of the Course. Film classics, short films and non-fiction films, both Indian and International, specially curated for the Course will be used for critical analysis and study.
The course is primarily designed to meet the needs of teachers/scholars interested in introducing film study activities in educational institutions, media practitioners, film society organisers, researchers, Govt. officials handling films and serious cinéphiles.
This Online Course is distinct from the Summer and Winter courses done in the past.
Applicants may please note that this is not a film production or a scriptwriting course or an acting course. The emphasis is completely on understanding and appreciation, and there are no practice-based inputs included in the syllabus.
Online Application Form
Online Film Appreciation Course FAQs